Imagine you are a student who needs to go from your house to college everyday.
You can either walk, take public transport or commute on a car.
May be you are someone who wants the luxury of commuting in a car. Here is the timeline on how you can do that:
First things first - Buy a car
How to commute?
This may seem like easy but there are other factors on owning a car as well. Cars comes with lifecycle of its own like shown below:
Your problem was to commute to college, you bought a car for that. From the beginning you faced hassle from purchase, driving it day to day is another thing and now you are burdened with fuel, taxes, insurance, repairs, maintenance, financing and of course depreciation of the vehicle.
What if we had a better solution? A modern solution may be?
Here, we didn't have to worry about any thing at all. We just cared about our commute, everything else was handled by the ride sharing app. No finding the right car, no taking loans, no purchasing insurance, no maintenance or spending time on it.
You just use it whenever you want and then pay for the total distance you commuted and everything else is handled for you you.
Why did I tell an entire story about cars? Because this is the same concept on computing.
Imagine you have to run a e-commerce site. What would you do?
- Find the right specification of the server
- Purchase the server
- Install it in your datacenter
- Configure it
- Deploy your application
- Make your site live
This may seem like one time thing but remember that it comes with additional overhead.
You will have to maintain the servers, you need extra man powers for that, you need power backup so that the servers don't go down, you need infrastructure security, you need network backup to make sure the server is connected to the internet all the time.
Seems daunting right?
What if there was a way you could just rent server for the time period you wanted and then just paid for that without worry about any underlying maintenance, management and configuration hassle?
That's where cloud computing comes in.
Simply put, cloud computing is the delivery of computing services—including servers, storage, databases, networking, software, analytics, and intelligence—over the Internet (“the cloud”) to offer faster innovation, flexible resources, and economies of scale.
You typically pay only for cloud services you use, helping you lower your operating costs, run your infrastructure more efficiently, and scale as your business needs change.
I think the statement is self explanatory.
Cloud Computing is delivery of computing services - over the internet ("the-cloud")
Like how we only need to pay for the distance we covered in ride sharing application, we will need to pay only for the services that we use for X amount of time.
Highlights of Cloud Computing
- If we use a server for 1 hour we will only have to pay for 1 hour.
- This server can be created within within minutes instead of going the entire process of purchasing, configuring and maintaining it
- Our system and servers can be live very quickly because of the accelerated process provided by Cloud Service Providers (CSP)
- We can add as much as capacity as we want without worrying about physical, financial or time limitation. As if, your website can't be handled by one server it needs to be handled by two or more in that case. Cloud Computing services can quickly allocate servers for us.
- At the time when extra servers are not required, we can downscale the servers and save cost.
Cloud computing provides us computing service over the internet which gives us benefit on cost, speed and scale.